Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Attended: "Stand By Your Man" A Tribute to Bonnie and Clyde


Notorious outlaws, art and beautiful hats inspired by Depression era America...of course I was in attendance. I was also excited this art/fashion show was a mere few blocks from my house in Oak Cliff. "Tara to the T Studios" shopfront gallery was well attended with the guests milling from viewing the art of Joey Seeman to trying on Tara Tonini's smashing new line of chapeaus, that's fancy French talk for "hats". Both artists, a notorious couple themselves, were there to answer questions and generally be charming.
Joey Seemans art consisted of some large and small acrylic paintings of everyone's favorite outlaw couple Bonnie and Clyde. The couple was depicted with ghastly blue skin, rendered in the muralist fashion of the WPA with a touch of tattoo artistry creeping in. Some paintings were done on shot up car doors, a grim reminder of the infamous demise of the gun toting bank robbers.
Tara Tonini's feathered and bejeweled felt hats were elegantly displayed in vintage luggage and antiquated shelving, beckoning viewers to try them on. She had an array of hats for men and women as well as hair accessories- all hearkening back to the era when things were much simpler and somehow more glamorous. When I asked for pricing on her unique one of a kind line I was amazed at how affordable everything was. Tara told me "I want my friends to be able to afford these". At that price I walked out of there with a hunter green beauty with coral jewel work and my pocketbook intact. In these times of economic hardship that's something to tip your hat to!
Did you miss the closing reception for this show? Visit these sites to view, purchase and get more information :
Stand By Your Man on Myspace and
taratothet.com

2 comments:

Tara Tonini said...

Thank you so much for the sweet words! I'm so happy you were able to make it to the show.

Lovessss!
Tara to the T

fuzzbuzz said...

Thank you for creating such wonderfulness dear! ;-)